Hello! Finally, I some new sewing to show, and tell you of some new decisions made around here. But more about that below.
Early this week I had friends leaving for Taiwan, and one of them has a adorable niece. N has seen many photos and videos of her, and we wanted so send her something. So this is what I made.
The dress is from an Oliver+S in size 3T, and I have made it several times before. But I was working against a deadline and N was at home on a school day (due to heavy rain) and therefore a bit cranky. So, not to blame anyone, but I messed the back pretty badly.
Here it is. Can you tell what went wrong? I accidently used the side as a fold line when cutting the fabric from the paper pattern. This meant that I had to cut the same piece of fabric again into half and sew it. (I had no more of the same fabric to re do the whole thing.) So the back centre has a seam running through it. I hope the mistake doesn’t look too obvious when the wearer puts it on.
To get over my frustration, I added one of my favourite things to the dress. A label, of course!
The second thing got made this week and that I am really happy about is a dress for myself.
This is not the first time that I have tried to sew for myself. But I haven’t tried for a while. And I happy to say that unlike all earlier attempts, finally I have something that is not too small and does not look weird.
So, ok. This was (is?) intended to be a summer dress–as in I wear it outside once it gets warm. It is meant to look like this, but I am afraid that I am not looking as stylish in it.
In other words, the “wearing it outside” part I am a bit unsure about–on me it looks a bit dowdy and I think this one is going to be a nightdress. Two problems–I should have measured myself instead of just assuming that size M out of a Japanese sewing book is not going to fit me. And two, I should have made it shorter.
Still the important thing is that I like it, which means that I will wear it. Day or night doesn’t matter.
The book itself is quite lovely and has many nice patterns. The part about “how to make” is very very clear, so it’s a book I would highly recommend especially for those who don’t read Japanese. As for me, now emboldened by this experiment, you’ll be seeing more of clothes for me.
Which actually brings me to the other thing I want to write about. I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I have a resolution for the rest of 2013. I am a non-resolution person, so it has taken me most of January to decide, but the plan is this: I have decided that this year every week I will have something new to show–a dress/ pillow cover/ quilt, doesn’t matter. But something. I am going to try and not keep the same pattern (and size) on repeat cycle, but in a pinch this is allowed. (No point in being very hard on oneself.) But the whole idea is try new things, and just make instead of procrastinating, and I figure about a week is enough time to get something down.
My public declaration hopefully means that I’ll stick to this:-) . We will see.