Phew! Finally, done!
As with many other things these last few weeks you have no idea how long I have had this on my table. First the pattern tracing, then the paper cutting, then the cloth choosing (Not to mention, N’s input: “No, I don’t want that colour, only this blue,” and so on….). The cut fabric has been on desk for exactly 5 weeks (!!!). Oh. I can procrastinate!
Finally two days ago (the same day I finished the cushion cover), I got down to the placket making. Things went pretty fast from there and by yesterday afternoon and by the time N was back from school, I had the dress-that-I started-eons ago.
So. Two realisations right away. It’s shorter than what I intended it to be. Serves me right, as the child has most likely shot up in the last two (and a half?) months. Worse, when she first tried it was tight around her armpits and chest. Plus she was wearing it on at least two more layers given how cold it has gotten.
So. Many complaints and sad faces and all that. Eventually I decided to do nothing about length. But I undid all those seams, and re-did with a minimal 1/4″ seam. Hope it holds up.
Here are few photos when she tried it again post the changes. Still not too happy as you can see, because in her mind she still thought it was too tight, although it really isn’t anymore.
And here the mood is getting better, and she forgot that she was complaining:-)
She did wear it for the rest of the day. And thankfully and because I am in luck it now turns out that yellow is her new favourite colour and blue is her ex favourite colour.
Couple of details: I made it in 5T but I think I need to size it up next time around. It’s the third time I’ve made this pattern (you can see the last two times here and here). And I can say this- while it requires a fair bit of prep, it yields really good looking results. The many details, and placket especially, every time I make it makes me feel like a pro because the instructions are great. Keeping warmer weather in mind I had reduced the sleeve length and added binding. We could have done with longer sleeves for now, but oh well…
Lastly, the fabric. I believe this one is from Windham fabrics, but more than that I am afraid I can’t tell. (I should really get better at keeping fabric references I know…). It’s not exactly of the drapey variety but then for this dress it didn’t matter so much.
So. All in all, I am glad I finally made it, although lesson to be learned is to not keep things sitting around for so long!