Two days before we left for our trip I decided that it would be so much better to make rather than buy some gifts–especially for the kiddos. Not a bad idea in itself, but not such a great one 48 hours before boarding the plane.
The thing is that usually I do like to make stuff that I give other people. But this making requires a bit of thinking and planning, and this particular trip involved so much of planning that I gave up the idea of “making” early on. Or, rather, I outsourced some of the making and got some delicious biscuits from here.
But the children that we were going to meet on the trip still needed something, and I really should have bought. But…I did not look hard enough to find something that I liked. Instead I came up with this idea that I make something at the last minute–yes, two days before leaving.
And yes, that means everything from tracing the pattern, cutting the cloth and actually making the gifts. And that too something I haven’t made before. Madness!
I know a lot of people who are really good at this kind of stuff, getting their act together two minutes before they are out of the door. And really, while I might sound like that’s a bad idea I do envy these people. But I am not like that, and if I try it, everyone around me and I end up in a really bad mood right before leaving.
Still, this is what I did, here is what I have to show for it:
I apologise for the poor quality of the photos. They were taken “last minute” (needless to say) and I feel that the absence of a model makes them appear a bit flat.
The photos are however way better than what the sewing experience was like–a bit of a nightmare. In other words more than few things went wrong: like sewing the wrong sides together, getting the seams not exactly right, ETC. Nothing that could not be rectified, but really nothing that needed to be done at midnight. So despite having such a lovely and simple pattern to work with, the lack of much joy in this bit of sewing was entirely my fault and not of the pattern.
This one comes for as a free download available on the Oliver+S site. The fabrics I used for both are cotton that I got locally. For the blue frock, I decided to use a bias tape in place of a lace between the bodice and the skirt. It turned out well I think (despite the fact that I had to redo it twice).
But my favourite part (also because it didn’t need about twenty re-dos) was this one:
I have just recently started putting labels on the clothes that I make and I think this allows for a whole new bit of creativity. Here I used a piece of cotton ribbon and stamped it with my current favourite motif. I have tried something like this here on N’s clothes, and I am thinking that a whole lot can be done with this. But more on this soon!
Anyway, so that was the end of my last-minute saga. Not something that will be attempted anytime soon.
I am happy to say however that the gifts were appreciated, and that always makes me want to make more of the same.
And so, the day I got back from the day, this is what I did!–yes even before I had entirely finished unpacking.
The pattern is exactly the same, but I decided once again to pull something out of my half yard Japanese fabric collection. Can you tell it is from the lovely Nani Iro line by Naomi Ito?
Of course, given that I was not running on any kind of a tight schedule to make this one, and that I had made all the possible mistakes I could make already, this took all of about three quarters of an hour from start to finish!
Immediately worn and well appreciated too!
My only little complaint (not the model’s, and certainly not a problem of the pattern) is that I feel it is a bit too wide at her chest. N has a small chest and narrow shoulders. So depending on the pattern the chest can be a bit wide on her. Here I should have perhaps used a 3T or perhaps even 2T size with increased length. Well, something for me to consider for such kind of dresses with spaghetti straps.
And here is the tag I put on the back. Just because I could not bear to waste any little bit of the absolutely gorgeous fabric.
And, finally there is one more thing to show, this time with N’s work in it. Here is what she made a little while ago and I put together.
A cushion cover!
We made this, specifically, she made the centre piece with a bit of felt that I cut up for her. While I have done this with strips of paper as a child, the genius idea of using felt to make this came from “eclectic mom” who did a guest post here. Really what I great idea.
The weaving is entirely N’s, and my job was to pin each strip in place once done, and push the strips up tightly next to each other. Once she got the hang of the weaving part we were done in about an hour. Not bad for a four year old!
I put the cushion cover together, again using fabric from my half yard Japanese fabric pile (perfect yardage for really simple cushion covers). So here is the back, really plain and simple.
As you can tell, the only thing that I did differently from the instructions on her blog was that I put in a cushion insert.
Also, I sewed the whole woven felt carpet to the top square of the pillow just to give it some more stability.
This one is certainly giving much joy around the house. Not only is it good to prop oneself up on, or to sit back and admire, but we can also do this:
I hope you have a lovely Sunday.
Read Full Post »